Satellite
  • Day 7

    Near Disaster, a Pickle of a Pickle

    May 13, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Holy cow. Picked a heck of a spot to camp. The actual spot was fine. Quiet and off the beaten path, nothing really there but solitude and a picnic table. The issue was getting there. We almost lost Pickles. I approached from the North and West. Big mistake. The roads were wet and Pickles was getting muddy untill.... I hit the low area in the road before getting to the campsite. That's where it got crazy messy. The road ceased being a road and turned into a mud bog for some crazed 4x4s. Pickles not being a 4x4 slid sideways and every way. We about went off the edge. Somehow I managed to keep him straight enough to reach higher ground and get out of the tenth of a mile long bog. My heart was racing, and adrenaline pumping when I arrived at the campsite. It took a long time to calm down and even then I was worrying about getting out in the morning. Would I have to go the same way out? Needless to say I did not get a restful nights sleep. I wanted to walk it to find out if there was a second way out but envisioned returning to Pickles covered in mud soaked shoes with no paper towels or rags. Not a good idea. I just stewed. Morning came and it was time for the showdown. Pickles vs. the mud. Who would win? Would a wrecker be involved?

    I took off the short drive leading away from the campsite to the road. Turned to the right, away from the direction we had entered from the evening before. Low and behold the road went up! This ment dryer road was ahead. I didn't even look at the map to see where it went. I just was happy to be out of the bog. As safety became more abundant on down the road I stopped to pull out the old GPS and got all of us back to asphalt. Perry and Pickles let out a sigh of relief.

    Later on as the next gas stop I snapped this picture of Pickles after his pickle with mud.
    Read more