Satellite
  • Day 27

    Dajbabe Monastery

    October 27, 2021 in Montenegro ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Dajbabe Monastery, also referred to as St. Simeon's by locals, dates only to the 19th century. However it is an extraordinary place. The church is entirely within caves near Podgorica, the Montenegran capital. One of the natural cave rooms has a reliquary with St. Simeon's bones. I didn't photograph it as it's an open casket with his remains covered in fabric. It just seemed inappropriate.
    Most of the surfaces of the caves have been painted with all manner of art. It is said that St. Simeon painted all of it.
    The 1st picture is the natural cave entry that opens up into several rooms to the left and right as well was straight ahead. Looking straight ahead is the room with St. Simeon's relics and then another room beyond with the icons that are visible.
    The rest of the photographs are a few looks at St. Simeon's artwork in the various rooms.
    The place is not quite like anywhere I've been. There are narrow passageways (I had to twist my shoulders) that also have low ceilings. It takes some effort to visit it all, even though it is quite small. I understand that the art is all original and not restored. ISTM that St. Simeon painted as he was inspired rather than as pre-planned, organized frescoes as what I usually see seem to be. I was quite moved by it all.
    Read more