Satellite
  • Day 5

    Lucerne

    April 13, 2022 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Lucerne is a city in central Switzerland located astride the River Reuss where it flows out of Lake Lucerne. Given its lakefront and proximity to the Alps, this place has drawn tourists for centuries.
    Like many places in Europe, the 1st recorded settlement here was a monastery in the 8th century. The town began to develop by the 10th century. The etymology of the town name is uncertain, but it has been popularly associated with the Latin word for tavern: lucerna.
    The 1st picture is the Lion Monument. The dying lion was carved in the 1820s as a memorial to Swiss Guards who were massacred during the French Revolution. It has become a symbol of Lucerne.
    The 2nd picture is of a portion of the medieval city walls, taken from the top level of one of the guard towers like the one farther along the wall. These walls are in good condition, and I'm told they are original.
    Lucerne is also known for its covered wooden bridges. The chapel bridge is pictures 3&4. This is the oldest covered bridge in Europe, dating to 1333, though much is rebuilt due to fire. The stone tower (aka Water Tower) by the bridge is a former defensive structure. The 4th picture shows the internal structure of the bridge. You can see how the bridge turns and a bit of the water tower.
    The 5th and 6th pictures are the Spreuer bridge, also dating to the 14th century. This bridge is known for the plague paintings on each structural triangle. The 6th picture is one example, this one being a dans macabre.
    The 7th picture is back atop the watchtower, looking over the city to Lake Lucerne. The 8th picture is the nave of the Jesuit church here, and the 9th picture looks up to Gutsch chateau/hotel where a castle built in the late 16th century stood. The original was lost to fire.
    Read more