Satellite
  • Day 7

    Sweating at 10 {PM}

    June 25, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    Ian named the blog tonight. There is nothing like siesta in air conditioning and venturing out at 10 pm for the evening activities, only to find the temperature hovering at 99 degrees...we aren’t glistening...rivers are running down us.

    After returning home at 2 am last night and getting to bed at 3, we woke at 7:30am to take on Toledo without tourists and without the heat. Toledo is a day trip for most, and starting at 10 am the huge tour groups arrive. Before 10, it’s magic. The temperature is finally human (the low temp is reached at 7 am in the summer), the streets are silent (minus a local in a hurry in a car), and the light is low so the streets are shadowed.

    We walked, took pictures, had some breakfast, visited a synagogue and the most famous work by El Greco...and the heat rose and the streets were crowded and we had had enough...we were of course on the opposite side of town from our apartment. There was some grumpiness...maybe even some whining...but we made it back for drinks, and then lunch (suggested by locals), and Siesta! Oh, hail, siesta. A two hour nap can cure the worst of anything...but of course it’s 1:30 am now and I’m still awake😂

    This evening we spent sunset at the view overlooking the city, got a bite to eat, and came home to luxuriate in the air conditioning. Tomorrow we will do something similar as today. Sorry, no goose chases or fake restaurants today. Melinda almost killed herself tripping over a chain tonight near the plaza...a reminder that the border between hilarity and tragedy is a very fine line. Luckily, we are hopefully still tiptoeing on the former.
    Read more