Satellite
  • Day 35

    Wieliczka Salt Mine

    June 9, 2018 in Poland ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    This afternoon we visited the salt mine, which was originally established in the 13th century. All the sculptures and carvings were done by the miners. They still have mass 300 metres underground every Sunday.
    Went back to the town square tonight to try some more vodka, as the bar we have found has over 100 flavours. We are working our way through the list. Ate street food at the local market - it was sensational. The place really comes to life at night - there are buskers, break dancers, stages set up with performers, markets, bars and restaurants all around the square, horses parading along the streets and many many drunk people. But there are also sober ones so it balances out nicely.
    We didn't stay near the square as it is walking distance but much quieter where we are staying in the Jewish quarter. Well it would be quieter if we weren't staying opposite a nightclub that goes until 5am. Graham peeked out the window at 4am and he said there were bodies everywhere. We were laying in bed singing along with them. One of those moments that will be funny one day in the future, but not at the moment.
    Read more