Satellite
  • Day 9

    Wrigley Field and The Cubby Bear

    June 25, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    One of the things Quinn most wanted to do on this trip was take a tour of Wrigley Field. How could we deny him?

    We took the famous Chicago L from the Hancock building. That was pretty cool!

    It was Pride 2017 and there was a lot happening in the city. We didn't get to see the parade, but there was plenty going on around us. It was good to see such a positive day. 🌈

    Before we got to Wrigley, we had lunch at The Cubby Bear sports bar across the street. Gramps has told us about the Cubby Bear many times. We just had to visit!

    Wrigley field was great! Built in 1914, two years after Fenway Park, it is the second oldest MLB park. The third oldest is Dodger Stadium, built in 1962.

    We got to sit in the field seats, the bleachers, the press box, the visiting locker room and the Cubs dugout. It was pretty awesome! We saw the famed ivy in the outfield and the neighborhood rooftop seats. Thirteen of the sixteen rooftops are now owned by the family that owns the Cubs.

    They were setting up for a Tom Petty concert later in the week. Lots more of action going on.

    A note on the visitors locker room. It is TERRIBLE!! Seriously, embarrassing. It is the exact same locker room that was built in 1914. It was pretty cool to think of all the athletes who have been in that locker room. Not just baseball, the Bears played there for a while as well as the Globetrotters and the NHL Winter Classic. The Cubs locker room (which the tour didn't go to) is state of the art and HUGE. MLB has told the Cubs they need to upgrade the visitors locker room.

    We really enjoyed the tour of Wrigley. 😊
    Read more