Satellite
  • Day 12

    another lazy day

    May 23, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    spent most of the day reading and lounging by the pool. weather was cloudy so not too much fear of getting burnt. we went into town zahara de los atunes for more groceries and had a quick walk around town. so quiet today compared to Friday and Saturdah and Sunday....the weekenders have gone home! just like birch bay.

    there is an abandoned fort in town-Castillo de las Almadrabas- which was built by: "Juan Alonso Pérez de Guzmán y Zuñiga, VI Duke of Medina Sidonia (1518-1558), inherited the title of Count of Niebla from Emperor Carlos V and, as a result, expanded the family palace of San Lucar de Barrameda and built the Castle of Zahara of the Tunas. Which would serve as a residence, factory and defense of his almadrabas"
    this dukes families ancestors got the land when king alphonso granted it to him in 1294 when he defended Tarifa against the moors. he was the medina ancestor who sacrificed his son in order to oust the moors. his son was held hostage by the moors and he did not surrender. - "origin in the concession that, in 1294, King Sancho IV the Brave made to D. Alonso Pérez Guzman for his defense of the Tarifa square," These tuna traps were then owned by the dukes of medina right up to 1817.
    interesting article about tuna traps: http://alquilerenzaharadelosatunes.com/almadrab…

    the fort or palace -Palacio de las Pilas - is where the Duke would come with his enterouge when it was tuna fishing season. it was also important as an area to protect from the barbary coast pirates the berbers. there is a huge salt cellar where the church- Parroquia Nuestra Señora del CARMEN- now stands at the north wall. This was a working castle or "chanca" because of the fish processing that took place here. today it is protected but in ruins
    one web site states hippy fairs and concerts take place here today! .....folk fest anyone?
    Read more