Satellite
  • Day 5

    Seattle, WA

    July 31, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    July 31, 2017

    Place: Seattle, WA

    Weather: 80 and sunny and blue skies

    Hours Driving: 20 minutes

    States Drive Thru: Washington

    Miles: 5 miles max

    Restaurants: Crepe de France (pike place) and The Athenian (Pike place)

    Movies:

    Games: Water tag

    Books:

    Hotel: Ginger Houseboat on Lake Union

    What an amazing day in Seattle. I knew what I was going to do first thing this morning the night before which actually came earlier than I expected, 5;30 AM though I didn't stay awake. I am not sure if it was the boat or time difference or Marne's texts that Mike was going into shoulder surgery (he is well and recovering). I forced myself back to sleep until 6:51. I made myself a coffee with Elizabeth and we went on the roof of the boat and took in the blue sky, cool breeze, lapping waters under the boats in their slips, the hum of traffic across the lake moving its way into the city and the smell of hot coffee. I'm loving it.

    We got an early start to Pike Place Market for breakfast. We parked on the waterfront because our vehicle (the beast) has difficulty parking in structures so we parked on the waterfront which is lined with restaurants, shops, the aquarium, the ferris wheel and is humming with people walking along it. We planned to park and walk to Pike Place recollecting incorrectly that is on the waterfront. It is actually a couple of streets above. After a really nice walk along the waterfront, we backtracked to Pike Place just as it was coming alive with shop owners filling their spaces with goods. Walking through was easy at this time. We found our way to a crepe shop which seems to be our go-to at Markets. We ate them at Reading Market in Pennsylvania. We had a savory crepe with ham, cheese and spinach and a sweet crepe.with strawberries and Nutella. I had an Americano coffee and a gluten free lemon and powdered sugar crepe. Delish but I'm certain theirs was better. After we looked around a bit, we grabbed some day old french bread from the bakery, some procutto, ham, chorizo and cheeses from the deli and some fruit from the produce and headed off to Seattle Center where the space needle is to have lunch on the lawn somewhere. I rambled that area often with my sister when she lived there and worked at the science center. I was disappointed slightly that it wasn't as recognizable as I had remembered. How things change in 15 years. Not bad changes but disorienting. What a great place for families. We had our lunch on the grass of the children's museum and wandered over to the International fountain that dances to music playing from the heavens. Children and adults were laughing and prancing through the fountain escaping its attempts to soak as if it were alive and chasing you. The kids loved it.

    One the way back, I wanted to take them to one of my favorite little oddities in Seattle that my sister took me to long ago. It actually won me a best summer photo award when I was teaching. The Fremont Troll. The stone beast watches over and under the freeway bridge. it would be startling if you didn't know it was there and you found yourself going up this steep street to a dead end with an enormous creature staring down at you. I must say that he is not scary but rather charming and looks a little strartled as if he's wondering why all of these people and children are one, not afraid, and two, they want to climb all over him. His one silver eue and the crushed VW Bug under his hand only draws everyone in. I love the Fremont Troll and I believe my kids do too and someday they will be back to share the mystery.

    We went back to the boat and the kids swam for 2 or 3 hours. They loved jumping off the roof of the boat. They kayaked and played on the inner tube. We got a call from Rhea, one of my dearest friends who I knew was here in Seattle too, who did in fact have time before their flight to have dinner. We met them down a Pike Place at the Athenian to have nice seafood dinner. Elizaberh and Sophia (their daughter are long time friends) and Paul has know Andy, her husband for ages so we had a great time. They get to be a part of the blog and our blog books that I print. All in all, a great day. I have to get to sleep though because we are waking wee early, 5:30 AM to get to the San Juan islands for a whale watching tour tomorrow. Can't wait
    Read more