Satellite
  • Day 14

    Columbia MO

    April 25, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Weather: 70s and beautiful

    States: Kansas and Missouri

    Cities: Salina and Columbia

    Miles: 300

    Hours: 4 hrs 16 min

    Sites: University of Missouri

    Restaurant: Sycamore

    Hotel/Home: Springhill Suites (another revamped Marriott)

    Movies:

    Audible: Resisting Happiness and An Interview with God (Made into a Movie)

    A shorter drive today to Columbia to see Emily. We arrived around 3 PM, checked into our hotel and headed to pick up Emily and her friend Lauren. Unfortunately, Ben started feeling sick last night. We hoped it would pass by morning. He wasn’t great all day. He still wanted to try to come with us to see Emily. I could tell he was just going through the motions. Emily greeted us outside her Delta Delta Delta house and took us in for a tour. Fun to see where she lives. We drove near the well known rec center built by the founder of Walmart. We parked and walked to the rec center for a tour. Ridiculous place. They have a water park, racketball courts, basketballl courts, volleyball courts, a workout gym and a ginormous sport swimming pool. The place is ridiculous. She excitedly showed us around. We saw the journalism school. We saw where her store is going to be next year that she had to write a business plan for and compete for a store front, Housey Designs. Proud of her. She paints jackets, coolers and canvas. They also body paint. Emily took Paul to his Fraternity which had NO resemblance to his fraternity at MSU. It was a really nice building with rules and regulations that made Paull’s chapter look like vigilantes. Pledges have to study 4 hours a day, 5 days a week no matter what. Grades are super important. They cannot drink in the house or have parties in the house. Paul chuckled the whole time at the stark contrast. I was feeling relieved that if my kids join one, maybe it will be a little safer. We shall see.
    Read more