Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Edinburgh

    May 17, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ 🌧 63 °F

    Today was all about the series “Outlander”. Rebecca and I joined an 8 hour tour that took us outside Edinburgh to the villages of Falkland, Culross, and Linlithgow. We also visited Blackness Castle, and Doune Castle. Most photos today are from these places. Marriage lintels were found above some doors and gave the initials and dates of marriages, when house was built, or when owners moved in. We saw several of these doors in Falkland.

    We walked for a short time on the Royal Mile and stopped for dinner at an Italian restaurant on our way back to the B&B to pack and get ready for our next tour, “The Best of Scotland” that starts tomorrow in Glasgow.

    We saw a sculpture Kelpies from the bus…They’re a 100 ft sculpture paying homage to the working horses of Scotland. We also saw the 3 bridges on the Forth River. They are close together and from 3 different centuries.

    Oh, I learned that it’s not only cat owners that were accused of witchery. If you had red hair or green eyes you were also accused. Oh, dear…that’s me in my younger days! What they did was through you over the top of the castle. If you floated you were a witch and they brought you back up and burned you at the stake. If you sunk, you were innocent! Many floated because of the clothes acting as parachutes. They actually found 400 bodies at the bottom of the lake when it was drained!

    Don’t forget to turn sound button on for bag pipes!
    Read more