Satellite
  • Day 118

    Monkeying around in Melbourne

    May 26, 2019 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    We were quite fortunate during our stay in Melbourne to enjoy unseasonably warm weather, only one or two well and truly rained out days, and close proximity to a surprising number of quality kids' playparks. During the course of our frequent treks to various markets, Davy and Meg mastered zip lines, monkey bars, rope climbing and much more!

    To pass the time amicably on rainy afternoons, if we weren't at the shops or the library or Ninja Gym, Meg invented a new game dubbed “Pens.” It was designed to be played with pens (as suggested by the name), along with pencils, erasers, sharpeners, rulers and books - all things that wouldn't be sanctioned for non-“sage” behaviour.

    The pens et al. would compete in various freestyle “skiing” events constructed using books and other pens, securing points that were carefully noted in “moniteur” Meg's coaching logbook. Invariably the top marks went to Shar (pencil sharpener adopted into eraser family), Lyreco (Shar's best friend in the eraser family) and Faber Castell (pencil sharpener). Boaty joined us at a later point to help the team travel together from one event to the next.
    Read more