Satellite
  • Day 3

    Bayeux! Here we come.

    June 15, 2018 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We had breakfast in the inn. Fresh juices, bread, and cheeses. The view from the window there was nice as well.
    It's back to Spangdahlem to pick up Adam and we are going west and south.
    Currently we are in Liege, Belgium, my third country in three days. You wouldn't know you changed countries if it weren't for the road signs. The topography and vegetation are the same.
    Road trips have always been fun with the kids. We all love music and they perform much of the way.
    We stopped for gas and lunch shortly after we crossed into France. Michelle and I shared a jambon and cheese sandwich and Adam chose a hot dog because it had bacon on it. When he was about to take a bite, he noticed it had a different casing than the type we are accustomed to in the states. He asked, "is it supposed to be orange like that"? I got a good chuckle out of that. It was odd looking and would have caught me off guard too.
    Our first real tourist stop was the Notre Dame church in Neufchatel-en-Bray. It was originally built around 1128 -1130 AD and heavily damaged multiple times, once in 1562 by protestants and then again in WWII.
    We then proceeded across the street to a Chocolatier and Patisserie. So of course we had to go in and increase our sugar levels. I got a couple of lait Rocheres, milk chocolate candies, and a tropical thing that I don't know the actual name of. Asking the question and guessing drew a lot of critical response from some in the vehicle.
    The primary purpose for leaving the highway in the first place was for a 15th century Chateau that was advertised on a sign. It was called Chateau de Mesnieres en Bray. After a long drive, we finally reach Bayeux where we will
    spend the next two nights. The hotel had freakishly small rooms and Michelle and I will be sleeping in beds like Ricky and Lucy or Rob and Laura Petry.
    We changed clothes and went to Bayeux for dinner. It's a medieval town with many of it's original walls still visible and integrated in today's daily life.
    The Cathedral here was substantially larger but a few hundred years newer than the first one we visited. Unfortunately it was closing immediately after we walked in.
    We had dinner a few blocks away in a neat restaurant, although I did not enjoy my chicken dish. All the restaurants that we have seen so far are very small and would likely violate fire codes for seating in the states.
    Read more