Satellite
  • Day 2

    To Adam!

    June 14, 2018 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We touch down in Frankfurt at 7AM. We exit the plane down the stairs to the runway, as opposed to a normal jetway. We have only done that once and it was on the big island of Hawaii in '97. We shuttle back to the terminal where we received our first ever stamp to our passports. Yes, we are newbies to traveling abroad. The customs agent asks us normal questions like "why are you here and how long will you be staying", but I felt caught off guard and intimidated none the less. His stare was intimidating.
    We then head to baggage claim for the luggage and decide just to wait there because Abbie and Michelle's parents would be arriving in two hours. Somehow, just 15 minutes prior to them arriving, I manage to walk away from my cell phone. I simply left it on the charging station while I rolled up my charging cable and safely keeping that in my possession. When I realized that it was missing, Michelle headed for the info desk in baggage claim and I go to another desk where I have no idea what they do, other than forward all questions to the AA desk. Anyway, no one knew anything about a lost phone and we're told that we need to go to the main information desk at the main terminal. When I questioned the man at the main desk, he seemed confused why I was asking. Maybe it was the language barrier, but it seemed he was annoyed by the other group passing the buck. Michelle followed him back to the baggage claim team where he asked about the phone and, voila, catastrophe averted. We continue to wonder why they didn't give Michelle the phone when she asked the first time.
    We jumped into our 9 passenger Ford Tourneo van, there will be 6 of us, eventually, and headed west for Spangdahlem and Adam. Once we left West, out of Frankfurt, the countryside was beautiful. There were lots of hills and multiple hues of green. There were cute little burgs dotted throughout and an old church in every one of them, evident by the steeples that could be seen in the distance.
    Spangdahlem Air Base is now in sight. We get through the gate, up to the street, and their was Adam sitting on a trash can and a smile on his face. Hugs all around. We eat lunch with him. Abbie and I had Subway and Michelle and Adam had Charley's. Regular military base fare apparently. We have seen those at Lackland and Minot as well.
    Lunch is done and we head to Dudeldorf where we will be spending the night in a quaint little inn, Hotel Zum Alten Brauhaus.
    Our room was small with two twin beds, which Michelle likes better than a double. Abbie has her own little twin bed under the window, which has a nice view.
    Dudeldorf is a medieval village. Arches to the town center are still used, although the gates are gone.
    We eat dinner in a small bistro just steps away from the inn called Burg Bistro Bella Vista. I had pasta with gorgonzola cheese. Yum!
    Read more