Satellite
  • Day 10

    Headed Home

    June 22, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We woke up at 5:15 AM for a 9:20 flight back to Charlotte. Abbie caught a Lufthansa flight to Madrid about ten minutes after that. There wasn't enough time for me to hug her even if we had gotten up at midnight. She will be spending the next month in Madrid teaching theater at a school and she is staying with another teacher who she went to school with at Wesleyan. She will go to a beach one weekend, to Rome another, and who knows what other things she will get to see. What a great opportunity for her and I will miss her alot. It amazes me to think how much my kids have been able to do and will do.
    Bob and Linda's flight was about two hours later and was non stop to DFW.
    We landed back in Tampa about an hour late. Our connection from Charlotte was delayed about an hour and somehow they were not able to get all of our luggage on the next flight with that extra time. While we were waiting in baggage claim, we both received a text stating that two of our bags would be delayed. After a couple of phone calls, the bags will be delivered Saturday morning. Our travel time this day was 18 hours and our total mileage for the last 10 days was around 11K miles.
    Hopefully, I will be able to stay awake till sundown and thankfully my yard was mowed while I was gone. That is the last thing I will be looking to do. The first thing will be to find some sweet tea and salsa, after a good night's sleep of course.
    To summarize this trip, this is what we discovered.
    1. Europe is much older than the US, thus their history has much more to discover.
    2. European architecture is much more interesting to look at.
    3. Everything there is smaller. Cars, roads, houses, bathrooms, and showers.
    4. They have an aversion to A/C, Ice, and wash rags.
    5. There is no need for seats on the toilets.
    6. Motorcycle and bicycle riders are the bravest souls on earth.
    Read more