Satellite
  • Day 6

    Day 6/72: Chillin in Chiang Mai

    November 2, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    Today was a reasonably chilled day. We started late- Tom had got up early and gone out to get pastries from a local bakery (bacon and cracked black pepper bread twists: game changing!).
    We meandered around Chiang Mai for a lot of the morning, wandering to the wall of the old city and diving across roads to avoid being hit by the ever erraticly driven mopeds: when a motorbike heads up onto the pavement towards you, you get out of its way. We looked at the Friday Flea Market and various other shops supporting one-of-a-kind tokens, then looked at the next 5 stalls which all had the same thing.

    We made our way to Wat Chedi Luang: a 15th century Buddhist Temple believed to protect the city, and marveled at the peacefulness and tranquility around the Buddha sat on a huge pile of bricks. (best described by seeing the photo of it...)

    We went and had rice and garlic chicken for lunch, with watermelon smoothies, and stopped for frozen yoghurt on the way back to the hostel for an afternoon of chilling (accidentally both took a 3 hour nap- so much for getting used to a different time zone).

    This evening we headed out to the Night Bazaar, an evening of watching traditional Thai dancers, eating Roti (what seemed to be pastry deep fried; delicious), a huge platter of sea food to be eaten with our hands wearing gloves, and ice cream frozen on a cooling plate right in front of our eyes. Then we sat back and listening to Country music and big band music while drinking Chang beers.
    Read more