Satellite
  • Day 3

    Lake Superior Provincial Park

    July 26, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Well what can we say. Lake Superior Provincial Park was absolutely stunning. We only spent one night at this park as it was a nice halfway point between Sleeping Giant and Chutes Provincial Park, but wow was it worth it!

    We started off a little rockier than we would like to admit. You see, we solely relied on our Google maps for directions, and turns out that once you enter Lake Superior Provincial Park phone service is pretty much non-existent. We weren't too worried at first because we were fairly certain we were still headed in the right direction. After driving for a long while and not coming across our campground, we came across a Park Office....we decided to continue on and trust our instincts - who needs a park Office anyhow? After going even further, we still had not reached our destination. At this point we were debating whether or not to turn around and in fact go to the park office...instead, we decided to make a bet. If we DID miss the turn off to our campground, I had to jump into Lake Superior as soon as we got there. If the turn off was still up ahead, mom had to jump in. We were going to drive for 10 more minutes and then that would be it. Low and behold around the corner, we both let out a sigh of relief as we saw the sign for our campground.

    We stayed at Agawa Bay Campground. Once we found our site and set up camp (just across from the lake), the wind had picked up
    and big waves with huge white caps were rolling into shore. Or course, we threw on our suits and went to play in the waves. Turns out Lake Superior has some pretty intense force behind her and some crazy undertows!! We waded in only knee deep and yet the waves were crashing up to our shoulders and knocking us over in the process. It was tons of fun and just scary enough to get an adrenaline rush.

    Our biggest highlight from this campground was the intense thunder and lightening storm that hit the area. This was by far the biggest thunder and lightening storm we had ever seen. Thunder booms that literally shook the tent..they were so loud you could feel the force of the thunder. Lightening bright enough to light up the entire lake and our tent too! Charlie was an absolute trooper during this storm. No doubt he was slightly terrified but he stayed calm and quiet and rocked it.

    After a night of pretty much no sleep, we packed up, found some coffee and tea and we were off to Charleston Lake Provincial Park.
    Read more