Satellite
  • Day 171

    Port Douglas - Cape Tribulation

    September 20, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Today we continued our journey on to Cape Tribulation. It's not particularly far from Port Douglas however there were a few things we wanted to do on the way up so we were on the road by 9am. Fowler had warned us there was only one shop there so we stopped off at Woolworths in Mossman to stock up on some supplies for the next 3 days.

    To get to Cape Tribulation you have to get a ferry across the Daintree River so that was our first stop. This was closely followed by Cape Kimberley which came highly recommended by Rebecca, our Airbnb host. She wasn't wrong, it was a beautiful beach so we sat for a while taking in the scenery. We were also the only people on the beach for the most part.

    Back on the road we headed up to the Alexandra Lookout where we could see the rainforest meet the Great Barrier Reef. It was a pretty spectacular view. Shortly after we arrived at the Discovery Centre which has lots of boardwalks where you can view the rainforest from different levels. This included a 23m high tower where you could stand up in the canopy. Usually seeing the rainforest from the floor, it was really interesting to get a higher view. The birds and butterflies fly around the top as that's where the colourful flowers are which you would never usually see. We were also given an audio guide which gave us a lot of information about the flora and fauna, as well as an Aboriginal interpretation which was really interesting. There was so much to see that we spent a good couple of hours there.

    It was now around 3pm and we were all rainforested out so we headed to the Daintree Ice Cream Company for a refreshing afternoon treat. They make the ice cream out of fruits grown in Cape Tribulation and for $7.50 you get a bowl with a scoop of each of the 4 flavours they have that day. Today's flavours were banana, Davidson plum, wattleseed and passionfruit and they were all delicious! I'm still not entirely sure what a wattleseed is but it tasted a lot like coffee so was really good.

    Content from our sugar fix, we drove the last bit of the journey up to PK's Jungle Lodge where we will be staying for the next 3 nights. It's right next to Myall Beach, so after checking in to our 6 bed dorm we went for a wander down to the beach.

    Our roommates weren't particularly friendly so we cooked up some dinner and played cards before getting an early night as we were both completely shattered. Our cabin looks much more bug proof than the caravan so fingers crossed for a less stressful nights sleep.
    Read more