Satellite
  • Day 273

    Day 15 - #Thatchersontour - Sydney

    December 31, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    It's New Year's Eve in Sydney which means only one thing, fireworks! To say I have been really excited to experience this is an understatement. After much deliberation over where to watch them we settled on Pirrama Park. We had been warned that if you wanted to get a good spot then it's best to get there early so in the morning Simon and I walked down to Woolies to grab some bits for a picnic and some much needed snacks for the long day ahead of us.

    Armed with our picnic, we headed back to Trio for breakfast. I decided to order slightly outside the box this time and went for chilaquiles which was a scrambled egg, spinach, cherry tomatoes, tortilla chips and guacamole concoction. I'm not sure if I would choose it again however it still tasted good. Simon went for something a little less sweet than the Nutella French toast and opted for a Reuben sandwich instead. The portions as always were absolutely huge so we wouldn't be needing to tuck into our picnic anytime soon.

    Pirrama Park opened at 2pm and we arrived not long after. We were some of the first people in there so we got a great spot with an amazing view of the Harbour Bridge. With 10 hours to go until the main event, we made ourselves comfortable and played cards / took a nap in the sunshine. One thing Simon and I have gotten very good at over the last 9 months is waiting. Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go (10 points if you spotted the Dr Seuss quote there).

    To make New Year's Eve even more special, we were also joined by my Uncle Chris, Auntie Jo and cousin Emily, who are also on holiday in Australia over the Christmas / New Year period.

    In addition to the midnight fireworks they also do a slightly shorter display at 9pm. This display was pretty spectacular so we knew that we were going to be in for a big treat at midnight. As it got closer to midnight the crowds grew and there was an amazing atmosphere. Unfortunately due to the amount of smoke that the unimaginable number of fireworks being let off created, accompanied by the wind blowing in our direction, meant that we couldn't really see the last 4 of so minutes of the display. The fireworks off the Harbour Bridge however were still incredible and it's a certainly a magical New Years Eve I won't be forgetting anytime soon.
    Read more