Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    The trip has begun

    June 17, 2022 in England ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Although we didn’t think our B & B was worth the four stars it claimed to have, it did provide a very good breakfast so we felt well-fuelled to commence our 7-day walk.

    Today, we walked from Minehead to Porlock, a distance of 14.5 km. The obligatory photo of us in front of the bronze “Hands Sculpture” shows the beginning of the SWCP, a distance of 630 miles. Although there were some steep ups and downs, overall it wasn’t too onerous - a good first day. The weather was beautiful (what the English would term ‘hot’) and the views were spectacular. You can see Wales across the Bristol Channel.

    We passed through the village of Bossington, then to Porlock where we will be staying for the next two nights. Our B & B is a bit cramped but the host, Gill is very friendly and helpful.

    We had time to walk around the village, found the best fish and chip shop (according to Gill), bought wine, then ate in the Meditation Garden behind the Method Church. In deference to the Methodists, we hid the wine in our drink bottles!

    I have discovered one of the wonders of modern science: walking poles. They have saved me from many a tumble, I am sure.
    Read more