Satellite
  • Day 38

    N'awlins

    June 23, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    I finally make it to New Orleans (or N'awlins around here). Jo's been for a work conference and we've been trying to come for a long weekend but never made it. We're finally out of areas that were once British influenced, and instead only the French and Spanish squabbled over, and it shows. Actually it seems as the French is the over riding force, and I'm not complaining with croissants plus coffee & beignets on offer!

    We explored the French Quarter, taking in all the touristy spots that the locals wouldn't be seen dead in. The museum on Katrina and Rita was pretty horrifying but good to see things in a bit more gory detail than we got on the news back home. We ate in a grungy dive bar with acclaimed food, and have to admit the gumbo and rabbit & sausage jambalaya was pretty good. We then did a ghost tour but it was pretty lame snd it seemed every tourist in the city was on a similar tour. Even at 10pm at night it's still hot and sticky (above 30C).

    The next day we lazed around Bayou Segnette State Park as it was so damn hot, and then hit the fiercely air-conned World War 2 Museum. The yanks are amazing at putting on good museums and this place made us feel like we were in 'Band of Brothers' or 'Pacific' (if you haven't seen, watch!), and the Tom Hanks narrated film with vibrating seats and ever changing set was incredible. We had our first fancy meal out (5 weeks in) although we still did BYO, and the creole food was gorgeous. We spent the rest of the evening hitting the bars down Frenchman's Street and checking out more live music. The best was the jazz band in the street and the light bike tour - Happy Friday!
    Read more