Satellite
  • Day 203

    Pedro Joins The Trip!

    December 5, 2016 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    After Loretto we drove a couple of hours south, staying in a nice little community camp site just on the edge of Cuidad Concepcion. The next morning we did the last 2 hours to La Paz, the capital of Baja. There was a big bike race going on when we got there and they'd closed off the malecon (beach-side road), so we parked up and wandered along the waterfront. There's no camping in town so we drove 15 miles or so north to a nice beach with a few restaurants.

    About a mile or so out there was this little black thing limping across the road. We slowed down to avoid running it over and realised it was a really tiny puppy. He could barely walk and was having trouble breathing so we had no choice but to pick him up. We thought he wouldn't survive the night but we gave him a little water and food before he passed out. The next day we took him to the vet who said he was severely anemic (his tongue and gums are white), but he dosed his fleas and gave him a shot. He said he was only 5 weeks old and way too young to be separated from his mother.

    The next couple of nights were pretty rough, with him whining every couple of hours, and fearing him peeing/pooping in the van we jumped up to let him out. Over the next few days he started perking up and his personality started to shine through. The name Pedro seemed to suit him perfectly, particularly as perro is dog in spanish.

    To be honest neither Pedro or us were in much of a state to do anything other than a supermarket run to get him kitted out and chilling at the beach.
    Read more