Satellite
  • Day 479

    Beach Life Is The Only Life I Know...

    September 7, 2017 in Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    We sneakily decided to cross the Panamanian border on a Sunday as we know the vet doesn't work and we'd heard you can bribe $20 and avoid the crazy $130 animal import fee. Considering there were loads of stray dogs wandering around we didn't feel too bad about it, but as it happened they didn't ask, we didn't tell, and no-one even bothered to open the door of the van.

    Whenever we hit a new country we like to stop by a supermarket to see how prices fare and if you can get anything new and exciting. Panama seems to offer more than Costa Rica and tonnes more than Nicaragua, and surprisingly it's pretty damn cheap (50 cents beers anyone?).

    We headed straight down to the beach at Las Lajas and were surprised to see another overlander in our choosen camp spot. We were even more amazed when we discovered it was our friends Sandro & Gabi, who we first met about 6 months ago near Mexico City. They travel even slower than we do!!

    The place we stayed was called Johnny Fiestas, and was a super small (6 beds) hostel with great camping right off the beach in an incredible 20km long bay. There was literally nothing around, but this place was so friendly we immediately felt at home with hosts Matt & Dario, and didn't feel like we needed to leave. Everyone chills at the bar most of the day, with a bit of surfing or walking/running along the beach thrown in for some exercise. With cold beers for a buck a hit and champions league on the TV we found a little piece of paradise.

    I think it might also be Maya's favourite spot too, as she was immediately besties with Suzzie and they spent all day running wild across the beaches, fields, sea and muddy ponds they could find!

    This place definitely makes the top 3 of magical spots we've stayed at, but after 5 days we felt we should tear ourselves away to begin our journey back NORTH... (more to follow...)
    Read more