Satellite
  • Day 53

    New Orleans, The Big Easy.

    March 2, 2013 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 4 °C

    Well after a very pleasant immigration clearance, the quickest and easiest we've ever had in the US.
    We went for our first walk around New Orleans, mainly in the french quarter.
    In the cold light of day it was a bit run down and seedy.
    But later on in the evening it became colourful and vibrant.
    Only three of us went out in the evening as Sheila wasn't up to it after all the walking we did in the morning.
    So she missed her voodoo reading, I just hope Dr John doesn't put a hex on us....lol.
    Anyway the first place we hit was Laffiettes old blacksmiths shop, which is the oldest bar in the french quarter.
    Out was ok, but a bit dark and dismal.
    We got talking to a group of lads from Texas who were on a stag weekend.
    We moved on to a couple of other bars and then to a bar called The Funky Pirate Blues Club, which was brilliant, the band was superb, the did all the old blues stuff by John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters and guys like that.
    Another bar whose name escapes me had a young rock band on, so we had Led Zeppelin and the like.
    The one thing we didn't hear on Bourbon St was jazz, which was a shame.
    On the street though there were lots of different entertainers ranging from a guy making fantastic music on a plastic bucket to break dancers dancing on a huge chess board.
    All in all we had a great but very tiring day...think I'm getting to old for all this partying, in fact I don't think it I KNOW! it.
    If we visit New Orleans again which I'm sure we will, Bourbon St won't be top of the list, but will still be on it if quite a but lower down.
    Read more