Satellite
  • Day 8

    Boston, United States

    November 13, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 5 °C

    Well after 6 straight days at sea, we finally arrived in Boston Massachusetts. As you will know this is where the American revolution started.
    This was my first time in Boston and I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. One of the things I wanted to do was to walk the Freedom Trail. This is a walk you can do around the city seeing all the points of interest concerning the revolution. I managed to get only 3 of them in, mainly due to Mr Google and his maps not working very well on my phone. But I digress. I got to see the Old South Meeting House, which was where in 1773, 5000 men met to protest against the "tea tax" imposed by the British government. This culminated in the famous Boston Tea Party, were after the British government rejected their protest a group of the men, crept down to the south Boston port area and boarded the tea clippers and dumped the majority of the tea into the harbour, and this action basically started the American revolution.
    I also found the Old State House, which originally was the seat of British government before the revolution, and after became the office of the states first governor, John Hancock.
    It was also from the state house balcony that the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence was read on 18th July 1776.
    Just outside the State House is the site of the Boston Massacre, which is where a group of British Redcoats opened fire on an angry group of protesters, killing 5 of them. The British government described it as the "unhappy disturbance in Boston", but Paul Revere labelled it as the "Boston Massacre". The British soldiers where tried for murder, but were defended by John Adams, a young Boston lawyer, who was as loyal to the idea of justice as he was to the patriot cause.
    Read more