Satellite
  • Day 20

    Roads to Osmotherly

    June 17, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Most of today’s walk was on roads, usually quiet, and not quite as exciting as climbing hills. We did have a sprint across the A19 freeway. Lucky it was Sunday or we might have had a long wait for a break in the traffic.

    Thanks to the White Swan Inn, Danby Wiske, for drying our boots and coats last night.

    We walked through some wheat fields, with a few tight squeezes through the hedges between the fields.

    At our “little lunch” stop we could look back to see the Pennines in the distance. Our lunch stop was at the Mount Grace Priory. A Priory dating back to 1398, it was dissolved in 1539, Henry VIII again, the ruin is now a National Trust Property. Nobody wanted to pay £8 entry fee so we picnicked in the field next to the car park and visited the shop (and of course the toilet).

    Then on to Osmotherly, about 17 kilometres for the day, and the beginning of the North York Moors National Park.

    Party night tonight, Allison Towner’s birthday. Thanks to John for carrying the cake in his pack, what else can he fit in there?
    What a great way to spend your birthday, thanks for inviting us Allison.
    Read more