Satellite
  • Day 113

    Nature's Way, Chiang Mai, Day 2

    December 10, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    A much slower start to the day then yesterday as we make the most of having nothing to get up for by sleeping in most of the morning. It's nice to not be rushed, and the idea that we have another 5 days to spend here over Christmas means that we can take our time seeing the sights. It is around 11 when we head off. We decide to stay another night before heading to Pai as we want to see some elephants, so we get that booked in for tomorrow and grab some food. The food in Thailand has been great so far. The curries have much more spice then Vietnam and Cambodia and Pad Thai is always a winner!
    After eating we head out to see some of the temples that are in the city centre. The staff in the hostel have highlighted the key places on a map so we try follow that (with the help of google maps as well after our last few map reading attempts) an before we know it we are at the 3 King's monument. It is a statue of said 3 King's and stands in a lovely square right next to the fine art museum, which is showcasing some pieces outside.
    After the monument we go looking at the temples. First up is Wat Phan Tao. This temple is different o many we have seen as it is made completely of wood. Inside isn't quite as lavish and extreme as some of the others we have seen, but this gives it a certain kind of ambience that makes it feel really quite special as you walk around silently. It is great, and is a nice break from the ruins that we have seemed to spend weeks seeing after Angkor Wat.
    After that we head on the short walk to Wat Chedi Luang Varavihara. What the previous Wat lacked in Gold and decorations, this one certainly makes up for. Amy puts on a long robe/dressing gown to walk around which makes her incredibly hot, but it is still fascinating. The first temple is actually only for men. The reason is something to do with menstruation but I forget the details. The temple is fascinating though, with some of the most intricate drawings I have seen carved and painted onto the walls, and a Golden Buddha taking centre stage in the middle. After that we walk around the complex together, taking in all the other structures. The main temple is huge, amazingly decorated and stunningly kitted out with Gold and Silver everywhere. A huge Buddha sits at the end. There is also a great ruin, with long steps leading up the Buddha's on every side and statues of elephants that are half decayed standing out like sentries on guard. Add this to the other temples with statues of monks, paintings, and innumerable decorations, and it is an hour well spent.
    Wat Phra Singh is our next stop, and I walk in and have a look around the main temple here, which isn't quite as spectacular as the other one but does house another enormous Buddha statue, before we head back.
    We chill out for a few hours in the room before going out to eat and watch the football. After the footy we head to the night market expecting good things. Every Sunday a whole road is closed to allow for the amount of stalls that stand here, so we hope for bargains galore. When we arrive though it is quite different. It is so busy it is almost impossible to see what is for sale on the stores, and after a bad meal Amy seeks out the food stalls that seem to be non-existent. It is more frustrating then anything trying to push your way through the crowd and we soon head back to the hotel, getting ready for a 5.30 get up tomorrow to meet some elephants!
    Read more