Satellite
  • Day 6

    Schwerin to Lubeck

    April 20, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    We were up and had breakfast and out of the hotel by 10:00 to catch the train from Schwerin to Lubeck... About a 90 minute journey.

    We arrived in the back just before midday and walked the 15 minutes from the station to our hotel. First impressions of the town are of a beautifully preserved old city with loads of very old buildings and three or four significant landmarks.

    We couldn't check in yet so we dropped our bags at the hotel and went for a little walk to see the rathaus and have a beer overlooking the square. From there we went at one of the old towers for a fantastic view of the city. This is another one of those places I've never heard of despite it being a city over 200,000 people and it turns out that much of the city was actually destroyed during the second world war.

    We went back to the hotel and checked in properly before heading back out for another wonder around the streets taking in the canals stopping for some lunch and seeing the main sites. I finally stop before we return to our hotel for a shower was an old Seaman's bar which helped that very much like being in a old wooden ship and had models of galleons and other naval artefacts hanging from the ceiling.

    After a shower we went to the Rathauskeller for food and had a lovely meal sitting in an old booth in the cellar. We were both weary by now so we headed back to the hotel for some cards and a night cap.
    Read more