Satellite
  • Day 9

    Shingwedzi Day 4

    May 18, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Today was Red Rocks day. We would do brunch when we got back to camp. We started with Jill as driver, turning right off the H1 on to the dirt road. It seemed a long way to Red Rocks but POps was navigating with Birdlasser on my old Samsung (couple of apps didn't make it to my new phone yet), and got us there safely. Our first animal was a young giraffe - neither of us won. We had seen no ellies yesterday and saw only one in the distance at Red Rocks. But we got lots of birds, mostly at RR where there were a couple of nice shallow pools for the little birds - cinnamon-breasted bunting, grey-headed sparrow and out-of-breeding weavers (spectacled?). Also white-fronted bee-eaters doing aerobatics and every kind of dove, including more Namaqua doves than we've ever seen in one place before.
    Brunch and a middag slapie were very welcome back in camp.
    We went for a night walk to the fence and heard a Dad explaining the difference between the 2 thick-knees to his kids. We then heard a spotted dikkop at fence - else we wouldn't have known the call! On the way back to the hut we heard the pearl-spotted owlet shrieking...
    Read more