Satellite
  • Day 3

    Day 2 continued

    July 8, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    There does not appear to be any reinforced speed limit...so our Toyota Commuter mini bus whizzed along the road at 130kmh...sometimes 140kmh even! Consequently the South African/Botswanan landscape was on fast forward out the window.
    We stopped at the border at Palapye to do the compulsory border entry. This involved all getting out of the bus and then going into a building and lining up...there was a stamping of our passport...I think to leave South Africa...then back in the Commuter for a short 300m trip across no-mans-land to the Botswanan border control. Again all out and lined up for the stamp in the passport. There are large banners in English declaring as of 1 May everyone must pay $30 US to enter Botswana. However when Stephan asked them about this they didn't know anything about it. Maybe they only enforce it for loud obnoxious tourists...which sounds fair to me. We walked up to the servo to see about lunch while Stephan did some paperwork at border control. There wasn't much there so we all hung on for another hour and had lunch at a "Wimpy". Stephan didn't join us for lunch. He had to go and buy a Sim for his phone. His driving matches his personality - 100 miles per hour - not even time to eat.
    In Botswana everyone who turns 18 can be given land. Consequently there are many mud huts with straw roofs along the road
    Read more