Satellite
  • Day 6

    Michelin Star restaurant - tick!

    February 20, 2020 in Singapore ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Our last full day in Singapore began with an MRT trip to Chinatown, perusing the many stalls, architecture and street art (and finding some caches on the way), before heading to the hawker stalls for lunch.

    One otherwise non-descript stall in the middle of the market generates a lot of attention - Hawker Chan was awarded a Michelin Star in 2016 for his soya sauce chicken rice, and is the world's cheapest Michelin-starred meal, at $2.80 a serve. We only had to line up for 20 minutes (the wait can be as much as an hour), and it was melt-in-the-mouth delicious. He marinates 180 chickens overnight in his secret soya based marinade and sells out every day.

    After a bubble tea and egg tart, we headed back to our apartment via Emerald Hill, an area of of double-storied terrace houses off Orchard Road built in the 1920's by Chinese immigrants. The style is known as the Straits Eclectic Style, combining components of Malay, European and Chinese architecture - half doors outside the main door to allow ventilation within the house while still maintaining privacy, European half-columns and Chinese-inspired reliefs.
    Read more