Satellite
  • Day 3

    Morocco Day 3

    October 14, 2018 in Morocco ⋅ ⛅ 77 °F

    A travel day from Rabat to Fes about a 3 hour drive. Breakfast at hotel and out by 8:30 and into the bus. Nice large bus for just 16 of us so plenty of room to spread out. We will be in Fes for 3 days.
    Took the :road less traveled” so skipped the major road and went the backroads for more to see and interesting stops. First break was a large Oak cork forest where the tress produce cork as in Portugal. Cork is harvested and manufactured in Morocco. It is not as big an industry as the cork is more porous than cork from Portugal. Second stop at a very large Sunday farmer’s market in the farming area outside of Rabat. Wonderful looking fruits, vegetables, and lots of really great, healthy looking herbs – tons of mint. Mint tea is a staple here. I did not think I was going to like it as everything I read said it was very sweet. I have not found it sweet at all but very good. Last stop before Fes was an elderly woman (74) 😊 who has a roadside stand and sells eggs, honey, jo jo ??? nuts, and other foods. She lived across the road where toured her new home that one of her son’s built for her recently. Her daughter baked bread for us in a wood fire oven outside, and Jeannie and another group member cooked us an omelet with her spices and eggs. All was a lovely spot and very interesting to see Moroccan rural life.

    On into Fes for our 3 night stay. Our riad is terrific in the middle of the 14thC area of Fes!! Beautiful Moroccan decor - mosiacs everywhere, elegant furnishings, courtyards with water features, and a terrific roof area for "happy hour"' We lunch at our riad, got settled in our rooms and off to begin the sights of Fes. Drove up to a high fortification area for a panoramic view of the city. (over 1 million people). Fes is divided into 3 sections, the new city, the 14th C city and the 9th C area. The 9th C area includes the infamous medina or old city. Our next stop was an artisan shop where pottery is made. We all had a lesson on the production of "upscale" pottery. e.g. all done by hand. The pieces they make are fantastic. Lots also done with mosaics, individually cut and placed. Amazing large pieces e.g. tables, bathroom sinks and counters as well as huge vases and many other things. A very interesting hour.

    Back to riad, weather turned cool with a storm (found out the next day that it was a cyclone) so stayed at riad for dinner. A very good happy hour in Jeannie's and my place as we have a "suite", with some of the wine we bought yesterday. Love our room but 40+ steps to get to it!!
    Read more