Satellite
  • Day 125

    Luxor, Egypt

    April 18, 2018 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 100 °F

    On Wednesday we docked at the port of Safaga and drove to the southern Egyptian city of Luxor to visit the temple complex at Karnak and the Valley of the Kings. The temperature was about 106 degrees F, and the air was extremely dry. Karnak, which was called Thebes in ancient times, is amazing. It was the capital of the New Kingdom, lasting from 1550 to 712 BC. The site contains a complex of 10 temples, each of which is large enough to hold about 10 European cathedrals. It is hard to imagine the size of the temple at Karnak without actually experiencing it. It boggles my mind to think that this enormous city of religion was visited by no one but the priests and royalty. Common people woshipped in much smaller local temples near their homes. These temples must have been mysterious, beautiful, and awe-inspiring.

    At the Valley of the Kings Glenda fulfilled a childhood dream. When she was a little girl she would often fantasize that she was discovering the tomb of a pharaoh. Several years ago when we came to Egypt, she had hoped to have that experience at the Great Pyramid. However its passageways are simply unadorned empty shafts and she was disappointed. Today she fulfilled her dream. As we entered the tomb of Ramses IV we were in awe. The hieroglyphic inscriptions are beautiful, and the colors are still alive and fresh. We were not allowed to photograph the interiors of the royal tombs, but I hope you can go on the internet and see photos of the tombs of Ramses IV and, of course, Tutankhamen. On my Facebook post I have Included a virtual reality presentation of the tomb of Ramses IV. Nevertheless, one must see the beauty of this place to believe it.
    Read more