Satellite
  • Day 26

    This Is Our Last Goodbye...

    June 26, 2016 in England ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    A very early 7am breakfast, as we wanted to actually leave on time. It was going to be a very empty bus, with only 15 of us leaving Paris to end our tour in London. A few people got up early to say goodbye, and there were many tears as we pulled away at 8am. Tamara played our day song for the final time, and to say I was a little teary would be an understatement... I was a blubbering mess!
    Our first stop was at Paris airport, where we said more goodbyes to Matt, Jim and Colin who were flying out of Paris to continue their travels.
    We continued on for a while, everyone pretty much keeping to themselves before we had a service stop on the outskirts of France.
    Terryanne and I took some photos with the bus before jumping back on, and we were headed for the ferry to Dover. Tamara handed out some cards for us to fill in for immigration.  I also spent some time drafting what I was going to write on cards to give to Jo and Tamara once it came time to say our goodbyes.
    We lined up for the ferry, had to pass through immigration, and boarded the boat. Terryanne and I figured we'd taken enough pictures of the white cliffs on the way over, so we found some comfy couches and attempted to log onto the ferry wifi. Terryanne wasn't successful so she had a bit of a snooze, I tried unsuccessfully to call mum, then decided to actually write out my cards.
    It seemed a short trip and we were in Dover, so we jumped back on the coach and we were on our way.
    As we drove into London, Tamara put on our Day song again and more tears ensued. She also mentioned she had some souvenirs for the few of us that were left, and I got a cute little dinosaur in a dome... Which I soon realised was made out of a condom! A souvenir from Amsterdam, no doubt!
    We drove into the Royal National Hotel in Russell Square, departed the bus, collected our bags and said more goodbyes. There were more tears, and Terryanne and I set off on the walk to my hotel and Kings Cross Station, where Terryanne was going to be jumping on a train out to her grandparents home.
    More teary goodbyes, and I made it to the Tune Hotel.
    I checked into my hotel room, which was in the basement of the building, and layed straight down on the bed! It was a tiny room, but the bed was comfy and it was only me, so it was perfect.
    That joyful moment lasted all of about 10 minutes, then I realised I was lonely, so I messaged a few of the others who were staying in London and we agreed to meet at the pub at the Contiki hotel.
    I made my way there, found a seat and had a cider, and listened to all the groups around me, who were all clearly contikians meeting before their tours were to begin. All of the feels!
    Before long Charli, James, Travis, Tani and Divya had joined me. We had a couple of drinks there before deciding to head to Kings Cross for a bite to eat.
    We found a buffet place which had a bit of variety - Indian, pizza and everything in between.
    We stayed for about an hour or so, by which time I was feeling positively exhausted, so I said my last goodbyes, and headed back to my hotel for some much needed rest.
    Read more