Satellite
  • Day 12

    A rainy day to ride to Colmar

    August 31, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    A sudden change in the weather meant that the temperature had dropped by at least 10 degrees and there was a 99% chance of rain. Many of the Ghostriders decided that they wouldn’t ride and would travel to Colmar by bus instead. I was keen to ride however and as was Douglas, Henry and Lionel. We set off just after 8 and made our way towards Neuf-Brisach where a good proportion of the group planned to visit and then return to the boat to change and bus it to Colmar. We carried on towards Colmar along lovely almost totally flat canal path passing Khunheim and about 5km after that making a sharp left turn and following another path of a similar nature. It did rain on and off (heavily for about 20 minutes) but the weather really was quite mild as we passed through a largely agricultural area with a few villages. We arrived in Colmar after about 2 and a half hours feeling that it had been a really lovely spin (even on the clunk old bikes). We soon found our way into the centre of the city and found a café near the Cathedral where we enjoyed a coffee before having a bit of a wander around the Cathedral area which is resplendent with lovely timber buildings. There was another toilet incident (and as it transpired another Ghostrider – who shall remain nameless had a a similar one to that which we observed) 50c was required to use the toilet which we did not have – we didn’t “flush” and tag teamed to use the facilities. Not flushing was clearly the key as a couple using the adjacent toilet found out. The Husband went in, pressed the flush button and then held the door open for his wife – she entered, the door shut and then suddenly the toilet entered its “decontamination cycle”. We could hear the lady bashing on the door and calling for help, her husband tried to open the door to no avail and a minute or 2 later she emerged VERY wet from the mid-calf down! Following this encounter, we rode to to “Little Venice” this is an area of Colmar where houses line a canal and it is somewhat reminiscent of Venice – there were a number of restaurants along the canal however we decided that they were too “fancy smancy touristy” on so went and found a lovely “local” café on the other side of town where we enjoyed more coffee and I had my packed lunch followed by a delicious raspberry tart.
    Meanwhile Kirstin had taken the bus into Colmar with a group of other Ghostriders (Andrea and Greg) arriving at about 10am and starting the visit with a wander around the lovely old town centre and then enjoying a coffee at a little café near a church. Then they just wandered around the town (photographing cakes and macarons along the way) destination “little Venice” where they had a boat trip – 25 minutes up and down the canal – the boat driver provided an interesting commentary – also toilet related - when he pointed out how the facilities in the houses along the canal were directly over the water (even on the second floor) – fortunately they do not function this way today! Also interestingly, the colours of the houses indicated the religious of the inhabitants – blue for Catholics, Red for Protestants… also light blue shutters would indicate a “single lady” in residence. They also saw the house of the hangman (sequestered behind a wall as it was a real case of NIMBY). These days you can have any colour you like provided it isn’t the same as your neighbours! They also found a house built in 1568 (400 years before we were born!!). After lunch in a Patiserrie where Kirstin enjoyed a tuna baguette and a chocolate eclair and a Tarte au Citron. … yummmo. After lunch, there was an interesting visit to the Musee d’Bartholdi (the creator of the statue of Liberty) and other well know works around France. Following the museum, it was back to the station for the bus to Breisach….. a full and enjoyable day!
    Read more