Satellite
  • Day 24

    Afternoon, Krems

    September 5, 2019 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    My boat ride ended at Krems an der Donau, a town of about 24,000 people. Located where the Krems river meets the Danube, it's lso known as The Gateway to the Wachau Valley..

    After checking into my hotel, I decided to do two things-- conquer my hunger, and explore the town. My three-mile walk led me through the Steiner Tor-- an old town entrance-- into the old city. I walked down the Landstrasse-- the pedestrian-friendly main street-- past old buildings and new stores, tourists and street museums.

    I found a great Doner place at the end, ate a delicious wrap, said thank you to the workers in three languages, and then returned down Landstrasse. A detour took me to a film shoot going on in the middle of town. Don't know whether it was a film, TV show or commercial they were shooting, but there were a few dozen people hard at work, and it was fun watching them.

    After this, I found and walked to the Bahnhof (train station) The following morning I'd be leaving for Vienna, possibly in the rain. Best to know how far the station was from the hotel, and be sure about train times, and getting my bike onboard.

    I walked the 5 blocks back to the hotel, hung out for a bit, posting pics from the morning's boat ride. After dark, I felt cooped up and hungry again, so I headed back downtown. The Landstrasse was quiet and empty, completely different from the scene I'd walked through that afternoon.

    Following my ears, I went back through the Steiner Tor and listed to a handful of musicians wowing a coffee-shop crowd with jazzy tunes. A beer garden across the street was still very much open. There I found a yummy bowl of goulash, and a cold beer, plus a few minutes to people watch, and continue enjoying the group's music.

    I returned to the hotel thankful for a full day-- being off the bike left me plenty of energy to experience the sights and sounds around me. Tomorrow, friends and Vienna!
    Read more