Satellite
  • Day 38

    Puijo Peak

    August 29, 2020 in Finland ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Puijo is a 150-metre-high (490 ft) hill, the famous landmark of city of Kuopio in Finland and a tourist attraction. It is located near the Puijonlaakso district.

    Puijo is a diversified winter sports centre and has annually winter sports events, including cross-country skiing, ski jumping and downhill skiing. It is a training centre of many international ski jumpers. Puijo is an internationally known as a venue for Nordic Ski Jumping World Cup events and its ski jumpers. Puijo has two downhill skiing runs, one of which is for beginners.

    Puijo is integral to Kuopio's bid for the 2012 Winter Youth Olympics.

    The Puijo tower is an observation tower at the top of Puijo hill in Kuopio, Eastern Finland.[1] Opened in 1963, the tower is 75 metres (246 ft) tall and has a revolving restaurant with 100 seats. It was the first tower with a revolving restaurant in the Nordic countries. The restaurant was an inspiration to Erkki Lindfors, the mayor of Tampere, who got the idea to build a similar one in his home town, resulting in the Näsinneula tower, which opened in 1971. The current Puijo tower has been visited by over 5.5 million tourists.
    Read more