Satellite
  • Day 126

    Sao Paulo

    February 15, 2016 in Brazil ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    A brief visit to Brazil was interesting as even if Sao Paulo is massive (21 million people) we managed to visit some different areas. Our first story/impression: got on a crowded bus from the airport to the centre, after a while there was a loud crack like the sound of a stone hitting the windscreen, then another. The driver started to slow down but then all the locals on the bus started shouting. We were very confused until a couple of guys explained to us what was happening.

    "People are throwing stones to try to make the bus stop so they can rob us"
    "But don't worry we won't stop and this kind of thing doesn't usually happen."
    "Welcome to Brazil!"

    The first day was about being so hot for the last time in South America and attempted and failed to find the Japanese market, still had a nice day and went to the food market and some other areas.
    After 3 months in Spanish speaking countries we couldn't stop saying 'gracias' for everything and discovered how big the difference is between Spanish and Portuguese, mostly we had just no clue what was going on.
    On our last day in South America the weather decided to prepare us for England, didn't stop raining, also ironic that due to the rain there was no electricity just like at the really beginning of our trip in our first hostel in Colombia. Anyway, had a nice burger in a completely dark jazz club and talked through the last 3 months :)
    Read more