Satellite
  • Day 7

    Shibuya and Shinjuku

    September 7, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Our first full day in Japan and finally we managed to get out of bed at a reasonable time to make the most of it!
    First we headed to Shibuya, a famous district of Tokyo where there is a crazy multi-direction zebra crossing, huge station, lots of shopping centres, and a little statue of a dog called Hachiko. He became famous for waiting for his master at the station every evening, even after the master died, poor little Hachiko.
    We explored a huge department store full of weird things including sweet potato flavoured kitkats and hats for cats. Then we went to an arcade which had hundreds of games and grab machines and even a virtual reality bungy jump.
    Next we walked to and around Yoyogi Park, where we stopped for a picnic of mixed bread rolls (quite nice actually) and colourful blobs (not quite nice actually).
    Next to the park is the Meiji shrine, there are big wooden arches, old fashioned japanese buildings and a place to write prayers for peace and prosperity.
    We finished the day in Shinjuku. First we explored Golden Gai, a small area of tiny streets with even tinier pubs. Then we went to the red light district called Kabukicho, home to a robot restaurant, giant Godzilla statue on top of a skyscraper, French maid bars and millions of neon lights.
    Read more