Satellite
  • Day 20

    Brussels Museum of the Gueuze, Cantillon

    August 11, 2017 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Went to one of my absolute favorite breweries today, one of the last remaining breweries that makes beer, specially lambic beer, in the traditional spontaneous fermentation method used for centuries.

    For a paltry €7, I was given the run of the place for a self guided tour (complete with a helpful guide that identified each room's equipment, propose, and history), along with a tasting at the end of the tour.

    The place itself was impressive, the building and equipment well used, and the smells delightful. They only brew from October-April when the temperature is cool enough to support it, but they were still busy testing barrels, cleaning bottles, and selling merch to Fanboys like myself.

    For the tasting I got to try a Gueuze straight from one of their barrels (they normally blend different ages of barrels for their final product), as well as their Kriek -- my favorite. I then had another two bottles of stuff I'll probably never see in the states along with some Gueuze cheese from Dupont (also delicious), and then loaded up my backpack and another box with essentially as much as I could carry of bottles to bring home.
    Read more