Satellite
  • Day 17

    Codorniu Cava Vineyard

    April 11, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    The afternoon of the day trip saw us ride a short 45 minutes by bus to one of the oldest Cava (Spanish Champagne) producing vineyards in the region. We were met by a very animated Spanish guide who was obviously passionate about the winery and it's products. She drove us around the lovely buildings on this little train while explaining what we were seeing.

    We then went inside the arches of what used to be the pressing rooms, where they had the original wine press and other machinery for us to see. We were then asked if we were claustrophobic before climbing down a narrow small staircase tunnel going down about 25 meters into the cellars below. The air was cool and musty and the stacks of bottles in this area were covered in dust. The maze of tunnels filled with wine stretch for 30kms! We hopped back on their little train and our guide whizzed us around through the tunnels for about 5 minutes until we reached a lift to the tasting room. After a long hot day with lots of walking and climbing I was grateful for both the lift and the two glasses of different cava that waited above for us.
    Read more