Satellite
  • Day 28

    A windy day at Jack's Point

    November 8, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    I mentioned in a previous blog about my intention to play a round of golf at Jack’s Point reputedly one of the finest courses in New Zealand and was hoping that the weather would stay fine. Throughout the week I have been checking the weather forecast for Saturday and it was always forecasting heavy rain. Last night we had a thunderstorm and heavy rain through the night and it was raining when I got up at 6:30 as my tee time was booked for 8:00. The rain, though light, continued as I drove to the course so was not too optimistic.
    Checked in at the proshop and got my rental clubs organised followed by ten minutes on the range and then on to first tee. I was booked to play on my own but caught up with two guys on the second tee and asked if I could join them. No problem they said. They were two Aussies Ted and his son in law Kieran, who arrived in Queenstown last night. They were very good company and we had a few laughs. Remarkably the rain had not only stopped but the sun came out and despite the very strong wind it was warm and sunny. For the golfers reading this Jacks’ Point is a stunning course in superb condition and it would have been a tough challenge on a calm day but the wind was really very strong. So strong that for large parts of the round you could not keep your hat on. The views over the lake and to the Remarkables mountains gave the course a fantastic backdrop.
    Talking with Ted and Kieran they told me about their experience of getting to Queenstown yesterday. Queenstown airport has quite a short runway and their flight from Australia yesterday had two attempts to land due to the very strong winds and then had to divert to Christchurch where they collected a rental car and drove over arriving at midnight.
    We have been so lucky with the weather on this trip. We came prepared for all eventualities bu had mainly blue skies. Even today when I wanted it fine for golf it was then from about four o’clock it poured down!
    Whilst I was golfing Jane seemed to be having some animated conversations with some American guests in the hotel with differing views on Meghan Markle! We have some interesting fellow guest including a Dutch couple on honeymoon who followed us from Te Anau. They are in to the adrenaline stuff and did the scariest zip wire yesterday.
    Today is our final full day in New Zealand for tomorrow afternoon we fly to Sydney a four hour flight where there is a two hour time difference to here meaning we shall be eleven hours ahead of UK time.
    Read more