Satellite
  • Day 37

    That's it folks!

    November 17, 2019 in Hong Kong ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Our last day has been a funny old day. Our flight leaves HK tonight at half past midnight that’s half past four UK time and we had to check out of our room by midday.
    The temperature today has been in the early thirties so once we had packed we wandered into town for a leisurely lunch and a final look round. There are any number of upmarket shopping malls in HK most of them occupied by the likes of Armani, Gucci, Rolex talk about Crazy Rich Asians!
    Came back to the hotel mid afternoon and we still had access to the swimming pool and an area set aside for guests like us leaving late in the day.
    It was whilst looking out from the ninth floor where the outdoor pool is that we saw the protesters for the first time. A couple oh helicopters had been circling for some time and then we saw the protesters were gathering by the bridge near the Polytechnic which is close to our hotel. Soon the riot police arrived in force and there was a stand off with protesters one end and police the other. The protesters had thrown bricks all over the road to prevent vehicles passing. Soon petrol bombs were being thrown and tear gas in retaliation by the police. As it stands that is all so far. Jane was talking to a lady whilst getting changed who got caught up with it and is suffering from the effects of tear gas. We shall be making our way to the airport sooner than we would normally do!
    So an eventful end to a marvellous holiday. We have enjoyed every moment and would do it all again in a heartbeat. We have been very lucky with the weather particularly in New Zealand where we were prepared for the worst. We have eaten well, enjoyed some excellent wines and met some interesting people along the way. We have stayed in fifteen different hotels and B&B’s, will have had ten flights and flown over 23,000 miles by the time we return home.
    Read more