Satellite
  • Day 24

    West Bank

    May 30, 2015 in Israel ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Well, we're back in Jerusalem for another few days. I'll be making the hill-laden walk to the Israel Museum with friends today. It's something of a free day, but we have a big exam tomorrow, so really, freedom is an illusion. ;)

    Yesterday was incredible for several different reasons (have we had a bad day yet? I think not!). We ventured North to Shiloh, Shechem & Samaria, all in Palestinian controlled territories. Safety and security were much talked about as we ventured into these areas. I may have alluded to this before, but the conflict between Palestinians and Israeli's is such a difficult one. I tend to simplify it in the States (we love easy answers!)

    Let me just give you a quick example: the Palestinians who live within the modern boundaries of Israel pay taxes to the Israeli government, but do not vote. Of course, good reasons and justifications abound, but almost any modern American would rankle at the idea of taxation without representation. But if the vote was given to Palestinians, their populations would outnumber the Israeli's and power would shift.

    Did I mention it was complicated? And, trust me, after an hour long lecture, that is just the very tip of the iceberg. There are so many layers, so many missteps from both sides, so little agreement. Right now the peace that exists is an uneasy and temporary peace. It cannot last because both nations have legitimate claims to the land, legitimate claims to the heritage that they have on each and every site we visit. They are important sites for every religious tradition represented in this diverse land.

    It makes me so happy that, as Americans we inhabit a land without baggage. Of course, the Native American fiasco should not be lost in the conversation, but overall, the land we inhabit does not have a complicated history. If you live in California, no one is laying in wait for you to leave so they can jump back on land that they consider their own.

    Not so in this complicated land called Israel.

    I'll write more later, but would love to hear your thoughts in the mean time.
    Read more