Satellite
  • Day 83

    Goodbye Bahamas, Hello Jamaica

    June 8, 2022 on the Bahamas ⋅ 🌧 86 °F

    Left Inaugua, Bahamas this morning at 6 am to make our way to Port Antonio, Jamaica.

    Inaugua was full of the happiest Bahamians we have met yet. Which we found surprising since it was really a nothing town. The only big operation there is a salt production factory, Morton Sea salt. We took our one wheels exploring around the island to check out of customs, go up the beautiful lighthouse and see if the grocery store had anything fresh. It was sad to see they had absolutely no produce left. They said their mail boat hasn’t come in a couple weeks and they weren’t sure when they would should up but that didn’t stop these people from smiling and waving every time we went by. When we were coming out of the grocery store there was a little Bahamian boy staring at the one wheel. He asked to ride it so Carson held his hands while we guided him through how to do it. I swear it made this little boys day, he couldn’t stop smiling and staring as we took off. The past couple days we did some quick dives about 50 yards behind the boat where there were drop offs that went from 30 ft to 1000s of ft. The reef there was so alive and beautiful! Monster fish everywhere of every kind but we struggled getting a good shot on any of them. They had reef and holes to hide in all over but we had fun with the challenge. Yesterday I finally got a shot on a nice size strawberry grouper and within seconds there were 3 8 ft reef shark circling around us. When we got the fish back to the boat and started swimming again I looked behind me and the sharks had surfaced and were within 10 ft from me. Carson guarded them off and we jumped into the boat. We weren’t ready to end our last Bahamas dive but after that we called it for the day. They were getting pretty aggressive.

    We met some amazing people in the anchorage during our stay. All of them were heading to rio dulce too so we decided to meet up at the lighthouse restaurant to talk over our plans. Some of the most amazing people. We loved hearing all of their stories. These people were from all over. We all took off this morning in our own little sailing regatta. There is 7 boats in total. We decided to compete to see who makes it there the fastest and can bring in the biggest fish in. We started in the back of the crowd and have blown past all of them to the point where we can’t even see them behind us anymore. It’s safe to say we have won one of the competitions. We knew our boat could sail but really didn’t think it could sail this great! Hopefully we can get the biggest fish 🎣 too!

    We are approaching Cuba now. We can barely see the huge mountainous tops. Wish we had time to stop by but we should get some good views from our pass by.

    Another 24+ hours to go!
    Read more