Satellite
  • Day 173

    An Bang beach

    February 26, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Today we went to the beach about 5km from Hoi An - An Bang beach (great name!). We had originally planned to spend a night or two staying at the beach but the weather is not great at the moment - cool, cloudy and showers, so we changed our plans. When we got to the beach today, it reinforced our decision - it was pretty windy and actually a bit chilly! The sea was also quite rough. Our swimming costumes did not come out of the bag but we did have a walk along the beach and a brief paddle in the sea. We also saw some of the caracol round fishing boats (think this is the ones you were talking about Wendy). The beach stretched as far as the eye could see in both directions - it is at least 30km long. We took the opportunity to pay a visit to one of the seafood restaurants for lunch whilst we were there. We had a delicious seafood meal including clams, tamarind prawns, crab and calamari. I also tried a Vietnamese white wine from Dalat - it was a bit ropey but at least I got to try it and the glass cost less than £2.

    We're spending this afternoon in our hotel room, sorting our stuff, catching up on the blog and photo sorting and planning the next part of our trip. We had intended to travel from here to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) but we have decided to give another big city a miss and instead we've just booked a flight South, down to Can Tho in the Mekong Delta. We're hoping that this will give us an opportunity to see some of more rural Vietnam, and also to travel into Cambodia by river rather than by road. Hoping we've made the right decision....
    Read more