Satellite
  • Day 132

    Utah

    September 15, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Nancy, Augie and I spent a few days in Denver with Nancy's dad and his partner Elaine. Elaine prepared several great meals and as usual the company and conversation was intriguing. At one point Elaine covered Ed with a sheet. (see photo) We weren't sure if this was an attempt to change the topic of discussion or just a regular household ritual, but it was pretty funny regardless.

    Ed and Elaine took us to the movies while we were visiting. We went to Spike Lee's latest film 'Black Klansman'. It had its glitchy moments, but was a powerful indictment of race relations in this Country both past and present. At the same time I've been reading an article 'Democracy in Disrepair' by Peter Grier that posits the idea that there has never been a successful multi ethnic democracy. Democracy works best in situations where a single ethnic group is in power. Places like Denmark or Sweden or even Switzerland are able to pull it off because they are vastly populated by Danes, Swedes, and Swiss. Places like the US pull it off because they have disenfranchised their minority populations for as long as they have been in existence. The challenge left to the US is to demonstrate that a vibrant multiethnic democracy can exist and thrive. Grier states that at this point this may be the greatest gift the US can give to a world struggling with changing demographics.

    Nancy and I then drove on west to Kanab Utah to join our friends Don, Mary and their dog Luna for some caravan camping. After meeting up we chose to drive north from Kanab along the Johnson Canyon road to dirt track n500. We've been camping here for the past three nights, taking day hikes to ridges and slot canyons along the way. A fire has been burning nearby, so it has been a little smokey at times.Today we walked through Kodachrome State Park. I'll let the photos tell the story...
    Read more