Satellite
  • Day 930

    Friends along the Spanish south coast

    December 22, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Over the past few weeks we've made our way along the southern Spanish coast, heading for Camping El Naranjal in Jávea where we shall stay for a couple of months. During our trip, we were able to catch up with friends along the way.

    First stop was la Vinuela, inland from Velez-Malaga, to see Nigel and Tracey. Over huge gin & tonics we caught up and enjoyed a few days together with great food, a walk in the campo and a proper Sunday roast.

    The journey to our next stop was through pouring rain and strong winds but we had a rendezvous with Ross & Yvonne to keep. We certainly made an entrance upon arrival at Camping Indalo in Vera. The heavy rain had made some of the ground unstable where new landscaping had taken place. This resulted in getting stuck in mud and being towed out by the campsite tractor! Even though we had covered them in mud as they tried to help us out, fellow Brits, Ian & Denise, invited us onto their motorhome for a brew as we waited for the tractor to arrive. Next day we headed over to stay with Ross & Yvonne who are on a Canary island cruise over Xmas. So, we pretended it was Xmas Day and enjoyed a delicious turkey lunch with all the trimmings, crackers, hats and pud, followed by sitting in front of the tv to watch 'Pinball Wizard' the latest film about Elton John.

    From here we checked in to the largest campsite we have ever stayed in (1300 pitches!), to see our Dutch friends, Hans & Mireille, again and together visit the beautiful historic centre of Alicante with fantastic panoramic views from the castle. We then met up with Michelle & Shaun and Bob & Diane for a superb Chinese lunch in Torrevieja to hear about what we had all been up to since we were together in Switzerland in August.

    Our last stop was Camping El Naranjal in Jávea, also home to friends Mel & Ray and their dogs Twiggy & Macy. No sooner had we arrived and we were introduced to some of their friends at their Xmas get together at their home. A week later, and we are currently house/dog sitting for them for a few days. They have a lovely villa located under the Montgo mountain with far reaching views of the surrounding area. Having one elderly, sick dog and one young, energetic dog to care for has certainly kept us on our toes. We now have an understanding of what having kids must be like!

    We shall be having a quiet Christmas Day together, with the local English supermarket providing some special treats. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to all
    Read more