Satellite
  • Day 72

    San Pedro de Atacama

    April 15, 2017 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    I have heard so many good things about San Pedro so I was so excited to come here. Before heading there I made another quick stop off in Santiago, to visit Robyn again as it was her 21st birthday party. We went on a night out in Las Condes which was really fun and I was prett hungover the next day for my flight to Calama.

    The flight there even was so cool as the views over the mountains were amazing. When we got to Calama there were mini buses to take us to San Pedro. The whole journey spent looking out of the window as this place makes you feel like you've just landed on the moon. I've never seen anything like it.

    The next day I booked a tour to the salt lagoons. There are 7 lagoons which you drive to and 2 you can swim in. Although it was cold, swimming in them was so fun as you only float - there is more salt in the lakes than the Red Sea! After we went to watch the sunset at a viewpoint overlooking the moon valley. That night I also did the astronomy tour. You go out into the desert and away from all the light pollution and can see the stars. We were explained the constellations and also able to see the moon, Saturn, Jupiter and over star clusters really clearly. This was one of my favourite parts of my stay in San Pedro because I've never really done anything like that before.

    On my last day in San Pedro and Chile as a whole, I went on a tour to see Valle de la Luna, 'the moon valley'. It was so much fun because I met an English girl named Holly and we got on really well. The first part of the tour was caving which was cool. You can really understand why it is called the moon valley because there are rock craters and sand dunes everywhere. At the end of the tour we went to watch the sunset over the valley which was perfect for photos. The sky turns an amazing red colour and the mountains turn purple. In the evening we out for pizza but we were so delirious from being out in the sun all day and kept forgetting what we were talking about.

    The next day I'm headed off on the Salar de Uyuni tour which marks the end of my travels in Chile 🇨🇱. Chile is an awesome place with some of the most breathtaking, out of this world landscapes I've ever seen. I'll be leaving in behind for Bolivia which I've heard a lot about and can't wait to explore.
    Read more