Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Catania

    September 29, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    We arrived here by train from a very thundery Siracusa and had a nice walk from the station dodging around piles of what seems to be the region's main product - dog shit.

    Catania itself was not much chop, but the following day we did a great trip up 3,000 metres of Mount Etna.

    It would be good to say how spectacular the view was, but in fact it was completely foggy, blowing a gale and with the wind chill would have been well under zero. Rather incredibly, though, there were people in shorts, runners and even a few suicidal cyclists making their way up and down the muddy volcanic trails.

    Strangely enough we enjoyed our trip around one of the craters, wind burning our faces, fingers and toes numb and unable to see much in any case. It was quite surreal and - once we were back inside the bus - exhilarating.

    Then for a change we spent our last day in Taormina, an hour north by bus.

    We thought it was a one-attraction town, but what an attraction! The Greek Theatre, perched off to the side of a most touristic town, is well preserved, substantial and in a stunning setting overlooking the Mediterranean. We climbed over, up and through it, all along with a ship load of cruise passengers clogging every street, gelateria, and souvenir shop in town.

    In all, there were plenty of superlatives from our few days in Catania, our last Sicilian destination.
    Read more