Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    World's fastest sunset

    July 20, 2016 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Day 1 in Santorini we decided to rent ATVs(and it was only 25€ for 24 hours... Everything included) because what better way to see the tiny island. We decided that we didn't need a map & we would just get lost like usual. There's no better way to do it.

    Let me tell you a few things about Greek drivers.. First, no matter what type of vehicle they are driving - be it a bus or a moped - everyone thinks they can fit into the smallest areas and that they have the right of way. Second, the roads are very narrow and windy, and Greek drivers could not care less. Third... They like to go fast. Really, really fast. In order to survive as a driver in Greece, you need to become a Greek driver.

    So we hauled ass through the city streets towards Fira, the center of the island. We made a stop to grab a breakfast (donuts) and then cruised through the city. We decided to wing it without maps because A) that's basically how we have handled this entire trip and B) it's virtually impossible to get lost on an island this small. The only thing we had on the agenda was to get to Oia (the northern part of the island) in order to watch the sunset. We found several cute streets, secluded beaches, and houses that are literally caves in mountains.

    After a while, we were getting hungry (again) so we headed towards the southern mountain to see what we could find. We happened upon a cute restaurant made out of an old converted windmill that was absolutely adorable and had a great atmosphere. We ordered a tsaziki appetizer which was giant and each had a Greek salad. Honestly I am in love with Greek salad.

    After eating, we hopped back on Gin and Tonic (our ATVs) and raced through the streets towards the top of the mountain. We made it to the top to find a couple of secluded military bases and a monestary.. But we couldn't explore the monastery because we were not dressed conservatively. C'est la vie!

    As we came down the winding hills, a buss was heading straight as us so naturally I pulled off into the side of the road to let him pass. Did Breanna accidentally spin out and pull a 180 into a ditch doing so? Possibly. Did she recover spectacularly and have the bus driver giving her a thumbs up as he passed? Also possible. They are All Terrain Vehicles, after all... she was simply testing their capabilities!

    We went on a hunt to find the donkeys that you could ride up the side of the mountain... After a little bit of searching, we found it. We parked our ATVs in prime parking & started walking through Fira. Such a beautiful city, right on the edge of the mountain.

    We rode the donkeys down (we started at the top), & I was literally so scared I was going to fall off that I got a blister from grabbing on to the reins so hard. I named my donkey Paco.... Because why not.

    When we got to the bottom, we kinda looked up & we were like..... We'll take a ride up too please. There was 576 stairs total.

    Before we started going up, I changed donkeys. This one I only chose a name for half way up the mountain.... His name was speedy. I got on & he literally took off up the stairs, knocking all other donkeys out of the way... Breannas donkey wasn't too far behind either.

    We got to the top & walked around for a bit. We got back on our ATVs and we were on our way again.

    We ventured out into the unknown on the back roads & somehow ended up in Oia.... Burnt to a crisp. You really don't feel the sun when you have tons of wind blowing at you.

    We came across this place called Ammoudi Bay - a famous section of Santorini. There were tons of restaurants along the water & when we crossed all the restaurants and went exploring a little more, we found this little beach where people were swimming. The water was CRYSTAL clear blue & there was some cliff jumping as well.

    We stayed and watched for a bit but went on our way. We forgot our bathing suits and towels in the ATVs.

    We went up to Oia city & walked around until we got hungry again. We went to this restaurant which had an amazing view. I ordered calamari with rice, cranberries & rosemary. The calamari showed up & wasn't deep fried.. But for the price I had to eat it.... It was the best calamari I've ever eaten. Sooooo fresh!!

    After dinner, listening to others conversations, watching some wedding pictures & chatting, we decided to go get a spot for the beautiful & famous sunset in Oia. We waited about an hour for it to start setting so we had an ice cream while we waited.

    That was seriously the FASTEST sunset I've ever watched. It was set in 4 minutes.

    It was beautiful & I'm so happy i got to check that off the bucket list.

    We hopped back on our ATVs & found our way back to our villa using no map.. We like to think were locals.

    After searching at nearby stores for a reasonably priced aloe, we decided just to go back & take a shower & relax.
    Read more